The hospitality and bar industry has been increasingly finding new ways to promote healthier more balanced lifestyles. Healthy Hospo has been fiercely championing health, wellness in fitness in our industry led by Founder, Tim Etherington-Judge. This past July, he set out on an intensely daring mission to run 42
marathons in 42 consecutive days at the age of 42. While his goal might have been a tad bit extreme for even the most fit of human bodies, his aspirational efforts to raise money and awareness for improved mental health in the hospitality industry was extremely noble.
Starting Marathon 1 during Tales of the Cocktail, Tim received messages of support from around the world, as people followed along and got inspired tagging #Run424242 on social media treating Tim like a real life Forrest Gump. After completing 22 marathons, Tim was experiencing severe pain and doctors diagnosed him with stress fractures forcing him to stop and focus on recovery and healing his body.
While we fully acknowledge that Tim’s mission was beyond extreme and would advise anyone inspired to please speak to medical professionals, we want to support him and the team at Healthy Hospo for their incredible work in the industry. So what is next …. that’s where YOU come in! Continue reading to find out how to join in.
View this post on Instagram
RUN424242, on hold. . #Repost @gingerbitters with ・・・ Well this wasn't supposed to happen. After 22.5 marathons I'm having to take a time out as I've been diagnosed with stress fractures in my left tibia. .. Deep down I've known this was coming as the pain in my shin wasn't improving and I feared it was something serious. Yesterday's run just pushed it over the edge. .. This isn't the end of #run424242, merely a challenge that I have to overcome to complete what I set out to do. Whilst I can't run for at least 4 weeks, my focus is now on recovery and putting my body first so it can work its magic and heal as quickly as possible. .. I've been so moved by the love and support from many people. Thank you so much for everyone who's run with me, stepped up to make a difference to challenge themselves or sent me beautiful words of encouragement and love. You've made the pain all worthwhile. .. Right, I've got some intense recovery to do so I can get back and finish this thing. .. #running #run424242 #onrunning #marathon #marathons #mentalhealth
Hot to Join in the Healthy Hosop #Run424242 Challenge
Healthy Hospo is inviting 20 bars from around the world to help them complete the final 20 marathons of the #Run424242 Challenge on Tim’s behalf. Obviously not everyone is prepared to run a full marathon, so they want bars to rock this relay team style to run, walk, skip, rum shake or shimmy through 20 simultaneous marathons this coming Monday, August 26th. If you and your crew wants to rock 9 people running a 5k together or 13 people each running 2 miles together … whatever works, as long as it totals 26
miles or 42 kilometers.
We hope that you and your bar will join us in our efforts to complete the valiant cause started by Tim. If you’re up for it, here’s what Healthy Hospo wants you to do!
1. Confirm participation via email to the two addresses listed by Thursday, August 22nd at 6pm (Pacific Standard Time) – firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
2. Get a relay team together from your bar/restaurant who is available to run Monday, August 26th and can each run/walk any portion of the remaining 26 miles (or km equivalent). If you don’t have enough people within your bar, feel free to have brand reps and others from the industry join in.
3. Post on social media throughout your marathon, with a hashtag of #Run424242 and very importantly @healthyhospo on your team members’ Instagram stories so that we may share your support!
4. Fundraising is not mandatory for participation, but as Tim’s goal was to gain sponsorship to raise funds (for The Benevolent, based in the UK) as well as awareness, Healthy Hospo suggests a sponsorship/donation of $10 per mile, for a total of $260 per marathon. This donation can come from anywhere, i.e. individuals, the bar owner, beverage brands.
To support #Run424242 and the Mental Health of those who make up our great hospitality industry, you can make donations of any size to The Benevolent, by clicking on this link HERE
FROM HEALTHY HOSPO
We know that this is short notice and that we all lead busy lives, and thank you in advance for any support you are able to contribute to this cause. We hope that it may also inspire you to bring awareness to such issues in our great industry so that we may find solutions together.
Coming together to support our hospitality family is what Healthy Hospo is all about, so it only makes sense that if our founder gets knocked down by an injury, that we collectively lend a hand to pull him up in a huge way. When Roberto contacted me with this idea, I couldn’t say yes fast enough to supporting in any way possible.
It is to make noise, to help him finish something he wanted to show that it could be possible and to show that our industry is very close even if seas of bars separate us. Of course, it sounds crazy for a human being to attempt run 42 marathons in a row, but the mission was all for a great cause. Tim’s goal was all for the good of the industry and to raise positive awareness. I really want him to finish his journey, but since he physically cannot, is the time for us to takeover this lead and finish it for him.
- Kristine Bocchino, Healthy Hospo USA – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roberto Berdecia, Puerto Rico Cocktail Week, La Factoria/Jungle Bird – email@example.com
Our Best Stories Delivered Daily